Microsoft SPLA (Service Provider Licence Agreement) is the original licensing programme aimed specifically at a range of Service Providers. The programme enables low risk start-up, requiring no forecasting, up-front costs or commitments - you pay in arrears only for the licences you have used.
Softcat’s deep relationship with Microsoft and industry leading Microsoft knowledge puts us at the forefront of this programme. In fact, Microsoft was our flagship partner when we launched our dedicated SPLA team in 2003.
Pricing is set in January and fixed for the year, providing complete transparency and predictability, although discounts are offered to charity, academic and Government partners. All licensing comes inclusive of Software Assurance, so you can be sure you’ll always have access to the latest technology.
- Software included in the programme is available for licensing through two models:
- Per user (Subscriber Access Licence)
- Per processor (CPU Licence)
Subscriber Access Licence (SAL)
Traditional Microsoft licensing models licence with a Server and a CAL model, under SPLA you licence both with a Subscriber Access Licence.
A SAL is required for each unique individual who is authorised to use the software. Benefits of the per user model include:
- Subscribers can access multiple servers from multiple devices
- Service Providers can ‘scale out’ by deploying as many servers as they need
- You only pay based upon the number of subscribers you have each month
Processor Licence (CPU)
Enables an unlimited number of end users to use the software running on a single processor. CPU Licences:
- Are easy to monitor and count, lowering administrative costs
- Can replace Internet Connector licences, eliminating the need to distinguish between internet, intranet and external users
- Are economical across a variety of business scenarios where the use of the software may vary
Rest assured our team of resident experts are on hand to advise on both licensing models to help you get what’s right for your business. You’ll soon realise there’s lots of benefits whatever agreement you go with so we’ll also make sure you get the most out of the choice you make.