Extended support for Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 is coming to an end. This means that on the 14th of January 2020, Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 will no longer receive:
- Free security updates on-premises
- Non-security updates
- Free support options
- Online technical content update
What does this mean for my business?
Without the security updates from Microsoft, your systems could become vulnerable to security risks such us data theft through CPU attacks and ransomware. Systems and applications that are vulnerable to data breaches have wider and financial implications in line with industry regulations such as GDPR.
What are my options?
- Migrate workloads to Microsoft Azure
Take the opportunity to explore migrating 2008 applications and workloads into Azure, where you will receive extended security updates for a further three years at no charge.
- Time to modernise legacy workloads on your terms
- Migration to a secure public cloud with over 70 compliance certifications
- Azure Hybrid Use Benefit – bring existing Windows Server licences (with active software assurance) into Azure and save money on provisioned workloads
- Technical support and bespoke managed services contracts available on Softcat’s Azure CSP platform through eCat
To help you understand the suitability of moving workloads to Azure, Softcat offer a range of cloud assessments. We can then assist in migrating your workloads and ensuring your data and applications remain safe and secure.
- Upgrade on premises
For applications that must remain on premises, upgrade to Windows Server 2016 or 2019 and continue to receive the latest security and performance updates from Microsoft.
- Purchase Extended Security Updates
For servers that cannot be upgraded before the deadline, Extended Security Updates can be purchased from Microsoft annually for an additional three years. Eligibility requires active Software Assurance or Subscription licenses under an Enterprise Agreement.
Get in Touch
Contact your Softcat account manager to understand how you can work with one of our ITAM experts to gain insight into your current licensing and extended security update requirements. Our delivery teams can help identify areas of optimisation which will enable you to reduce your spend, in addition to providing the foundations and clarity to explore all options available.