Storage/Virtualisation Technical Consultant
Reports To: Services Operations Manager
Location: 80% Customer Sites, 20% Softcat Office (Marlow, London or Manchester)
Salary: Competitive salary, benefits and bonus scheme
This unique and enviable role will be a key member of our Managed Services Team working for the Sunday Times No 1 best company to work for 2010.
Although this role will be based from one of Softcat’s offices, it is expected that the majority of the successful applicant’s time will be spent at customer sites. The primary responsibility of this role will be to provide technical expertise throughout the complete cycle of the professional services engagement. The ideal candidate will join our professional services team with existing Storage & Virtualisation skills; they will be able to design, implement and configure at least two of the following product sets:
- EMC: VNX, VNXe, Isilon, Clariion, Celerra, Data Domain & Avamar
- VMware: vSphere, SRM
- Microsoft Hyper-V
The candidate will have a keen eye for detail and work well within a team. The individual will be self-motivated with an on-going desire to maintain their knowledge level at the forefront of technology. They will also be expected to ensure that all work is delivered to the highest quality and ensure their certifications are kept updated.
TYPICAL QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
- At least five years of IT industry experience
- EMC VNX IE or TA
- VMware: VCP
- MCITP Windows Server 2008 R2: Virtualization Administrator
- Symantec STS: NetBackup, Backup Exec, Enterprise Vault
- Prince2 – Practitioner
- ITIL V3
TASKS / DUTIES
- Represent Softcat in your capacity as a hands-on technical consultant, demonstrating a genuine passion in the build quality and delivery of first-class IT solutions.
- Ensure that all projects are approached in a consistent and logical manner (in line with Softcat’s ISO 9001 and forthcoming 27001 certifications).
- Ensure that your personal skills set is maintained to all current product versions, either through self-based training or the attendance of formal course training as approved by senior management. To pro-actively seek information on new products and technologies.
- Prepare and deliver technical proposals, SOWs, post project documentation in a timely manner (ensuring documentation is in line with the appropriate company standards).
- Represent Softcat in a professional manner, demonstrating our technology & service advantages.
- Not feel reluctant to seek help from other team members to ensure the work is completed on time and to a very high standard. In the event customer dissatisfaction; ensure that the project manager or sales account manager concerned is advised immediately. If this is not possible, escalate to a senior manager/director.
Core competencies required to fulfil the role include, but are not limited to the following:
- Achievement Focus: takes real pride in own achievements and welcomes the challenge of more hard work. Puts in extra time and effort needed to complete the task by the deadline.
- Taking Responsibility: accepts responsibility when things go wrong as well as right. Owns decisions and does not pass-off the problem to colleagues.
- Analysis and Problem-Solving: critically evaluates arguments or data, rather than taking them at face value. Considers more than one solution to a problem.
- Strategy Orientation: rises above the detail and sees the broader picture. Contributes to development of strategy.
- Team Working: values approaches and ideas that differ from own. Shows a willingness to fit in with others to achieve common goals. Puts over views without seeking to dominate.
- Quality Focus: is self-critical and keen to do better. Checks that standards being achieved are satisfactory. Is careful and attentive in handling detail.
- Communication: conveys ideas clearly when speaking to people. Written memos, reports, documentation are well laid out and presented. Confident and effective in giving presentations.
- Impression Management: makes a good first impression. Is able to adapt style to win confidence of others. Projects an air of calm authority.
- Managing Stress: takes proper holiday leave. Keeps calm under pressure. Can identify signs of strain in colleagues and offer support.
- Networking and Relationships: is in demand as a valuable resource to others. Builds strong working relationships.