Senior NOC Infrastructure Engineer – Managed Services
Location: 60% Softcat Marlow HQ (NOC)/ 25% Customer Sites / 15% Regional offices
Salary: Competitive salary, benefits and bonus scheme
This unique and enviable role will be a key member of our Managed Services Team working for the Sunday Times No 1 best company to work for 2010. The primary responsibility will be the successful setup & support all technical aspects of the Softcat’s Network Operation Centre and associated services. The ideal candidate will join our existing team to drive design and deployment of the new Managed Services being setup for existing & new customers.
The role will involve technically vetting new Managed Services personnel (technical) and providing technical direction for all services, these will include but not limited to:
- Proactive Remote Management of customer core infrastructures
- Bespoke Data Centre Hosting & Cloud Services
- Security Services
- Telephone support services
- Managing 3rd party partner solutions (White label services/ISP’s etc.)
The successful candidate will also have a strong desire to pass on and share their knowledge and document all processes setup to ensure a smooth running operation. The candidate will have a keen eye for detail and work well within a team and have the ability to manage junior members of that team. The individual will be self-motivated with an on-going desire to maintain their knowledge level at the forefront of technology. They will also be expected to ensure that solutions are provided in a quality fashion and helping develop Softcat’s application for 27001 certification. This role is likely to turn into a managerial role and the individual will be expected to have the ability to manage multiple team members and mentor accordingly.
TYPICAL QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE:
- HP Blade and Flex Fabric experience essential
- Worked in a NOC/Service Desk arena
- Storage/SAN skills
- Virtualisation Skills (Certs desirable)
- Excellent understanding of Data Centres & WAN (VPLS/MPLS etc.)
- Networking/Security Skills
- Broad Microsoft Skills (SQL, Exchange, AD, Server)
- Experience with setting up complex monitoring and management solutions
- ITIL qualified/Service desk understanding
- Willing to get hands on with all aspects of support and setup of the infrastructure
- A minimum of five years’ experience in the IT industry with at least two of these performing a consultancy role
- Must have face to face customer experience and have the ability to convince potential decision makers of the soundness of the proposed solution. Demonstrable examples will be required
- Ability to source excellent engineers to work within the team
- Must have excellent literacy skills for documentation and technical proposal purposes
TASKS / DUTIES:
- To work within Managed Services Teams, together with sales account management and/or project management in assessing sales opportunities and subsequently developing, or assisting in the technical content of any response to an invitation to tender or request for proposal. In this pre-sales capacity, develop a full understanding of the customer’s technical requirements with a view to creating a long-term business relationship. This may also include the delivery of presentations to specific customers.
- To be a hands-on technical solution architect that has real enthusiasm in the quality build and delivery of the solution. To enjoy working with the products and not feel reluctant to seek help from other team members to ensure the work is completed on time and to a very high standard.
- To ensure that all projects are approached and handled in a consistent, logical way in line with Softcat’s ISO 9000 and forthcoming 27001 certification.
- To work with the project & service delivery teams in terms of the actual implementation of the solutions, be prepared to actively participate.
- To participate in defining and supporting the on-call telephone support service for customers moving forward.
- To provide training to other members of the service organisation in order to pass on skills and equally to act as a mentor.
- To ensure that your personal skills set is maintained as “state of the art”, either through self based training or the attendance of formal course training as approved by senior management. To pro-actively seek information on new products and technologies.
- To propose new software or hardware technologies and vendors that you believe would present a good business opportunity, this will include services and solutions for our customers.
- To ensure that project plans and documentation are available on time and in line with the appropriate company standards.
- Finally, to always represent Softcat to our customers in the most professional way and continually demonstrate our technology & service advantage. In the event that a customer dissatisfaction issue arises; ensure that the project manager or sales account manager concerned is advised immediately; or if not possible, escalate to a director. If neither is available then take the most appropriate action to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Core Competencies required to fulfil the role include, but are not limited to the following:
- Achievement Focus: takes real pride in own achievements and welcomes the challenge of more hard work. Puts in extra time and effort needed to complete the task by the deadline.
- Taking Responsibility: accepts responsibility when things go wrong as well as right. Owns decisions and does not pass-off the problem to colleagues.
- Analysis and Problem-Solving: critically evaluates arguments or data, rather than taking them at face value. Considers more than one solution to a problem.
- Strategy Orientation: rises above the detail and sees the broader picture. Contributes to development of strategy.
- Team working: values approaches and ideas that differ from own. Shows a willingness to fit in with others to achieve common goals. Puts over views without seeking to dominate.
- Quality focus: Is self-critical and keen to do better. Checks that standards being achieved are satisfactory. Is careful and attentive in handling detail.
- Communication: conveys ideas clearly when speaking to people. Written memos, reports, documentation are well laid out and presented. Confident and effective in giving presentations.
- Impression Management: makes a good first impression. Is able to adapt style to win confidence of others. Projects an air of calm authority.
- Managing Stress: takes proper holiday leave. Keeps calm under pressure. Can identify signs of strain in colleagues and offer support.
- Networking and Relationships: is in demand as a valuable resource to others. Builds strong working relationships.