Senior Infrastructure Engineer (Response Team Leader) – Managed Services
Reports To: Senior Managed Services Operations Manager
Location: 90% Softcat Marlow HQ (NOC)/ 5% Customer Sites / 5% Regional offices/DC
Salary: Competitive salary, benefits and bonus scheme
This unique opportunity is to serve as a key member of our Managed Services team working for one of the top 10 workplaces in the UK and top 50 workplaces in Europe (Great Place to Work Awards – Best Work Place 2012).
The primary responsibility will be maintaining and managing the managed services core platform, client infrastructure and service desk function.
The role will involve technically vetting new Managed Services personnel (technical) and providing technical direction for all services, these will include but not limited to:
- Proactive Remote Management of customer core infrastructures
- Supporting Data Centre Hosting & Cloud Services
- Supporting Security Services
- Supporting Telephone support services
- Working with 3rd party partners to aid in the resolution of incidents
The successful candidate will also have a strong desire to pass on and share their knowledge and document all processes setup to ensure a smooth running operation. The candidate will have a keen eye for detail and work well within a team and have the ability to manage junior members of that team. The individual will be self-motivated with an on-going desire to maintain their knowledge level at the forefront of technology. They will also be expected to ensure that solutions are provided in a quality fashion and helping develop Softcat’s application for 27001 certification. This role is likely to turn into a managerial role and the individual will be expected to have the ability to manage multiple team members and mentor accordingly.
- Worked in a NOC/Service Desk arena (Ideally)
- Mentoring skills (At least 4 direct reports)
- AD management and diagnosis
- Broad Microsoft Skills (SQL, Focus on Exchange/SharePoint)
- Virtualisation Skills (Certs desirable)
- Base Storage/SAN skills
- Base Networking/Security Skills
- ITIL qualified/Service desk understanding
- Willing to get hands on with all aspects of support and setup of the infrastructure
- Must have excellent literacy skills for documentation and technical processes
- Someone who can bring new ideas and process to work more efficiently within the Managed Services Team
- To be a hands-on technical support engineer with a real enthusiasm in the quality of service provided to our customers. To enjoy working with the products and not feel reluctant to seek help from other team members to ensure the work is completed on time and to a very high standard.
- To ensure that all IT processes are approached and handled in a consistent, logical way in line with Softcat’s ISO 9000 and forthcoming 27001 certification.
- To work with the service delivery teams in terms of customer support, be prepared to actively participate in improving the customer experience.
- To provide training to other members of the service organisation in order to pass on skills and equally to act as a mentor.
- To ensure that your personal skills set is maintained as “state of the art”, either through self based training or the attendance of formal course training as approved by senior management. To pro-actively seek information on new products and technologies.
- To ensure that all documentation for projects are available to your team when new customers come on board, this will entail working with architects to ensure a good understanding of the solutions we are delivering.
- Finally, to always represent Softcat to our customers in the most professional way and continually demonstrate our technology & service advantage. In the event that a customer dissatisfaction issue arises; ensure that the service delivery manager or sales account manager concerned is advised immediately; or if not possible, escalate to a Director/Senior Technical NOC personnel. If neither is available then take the most appropriate action to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Core Competencies required to fulfil the role include, but are not limited to the following:
- Achievement Focus: takes real pride in own achievements and welcomes the challenge of more hard work. Puts in extra time and effort needed to complete the task by the deadline.
- Taking Responsibility: accepts responsibility when things go wrong as well as right. Owns decisions and does not pass-off the problem to colleagues.
- Analysis and Problem-Solving: critically evaluates arguments or data, rather than taking them at face value. Considers more than one solution to a problem.
- Strategy Orientation: rises above the detail and sees the broader picture. Contributes to development of strategy.
- Team working: values approaches and ideas that differ from own. Shows a willingness to fit in with others to achieve common goals. Puts over views without seeking to dominate.
- Quality focus: Is self-critical and keen to do better. Checks that standards being achieved are satisfactory. Is careful and attentive in handling detail.
- Communication: conveys ideas clearly when speaking to people. Written memos, reports, documentation are well laid out and presented. Confident and effective in giving presentations.
- Impression Management: makes a good first impression. Is able to adapt style to win confidence of others. Projects an air of calm authority.
- Managing Stress: takes proper holiday leave. Keeps calm under pressure. Can identify signs of strain in colleagues and offer support.
- Networking and Relationships: is in demand as a valuable resource to others. Builds strong working relationships.